How to Report a Car Accident in NYC
Reporting is as easy as calling 911 or telling someone else to do that. A report of motor vehicle accidents has to be filed with the Department of Motor Vehicles for insurance purposes. You can do this online. A car accident lawyer in New York City is generally the next important step.
- You can report an accident within 10 days.
- You’re legally required to call law enforcement to the accident scene if someone was injured or killed. You’re also legally required to stay on the scene in such a case.
- A minor car accident where nobody was injured can be reported by dialing 101. This is the non-emergency number for contacting the police. This has to be done within 24 hours of the accident.
- If you have caused damage to property (including someone’s vehicle), then you should stop, report, and wait on the scene. It doesn’t matter how small the damage is.
- You could be legally summoned by means of a notice in court if you fail to abide by the above regulations and guidelines.
If you have been involved in an accident and believe that another driver was at fault, then you will want to make sure that you are able to pursue compensation for your injuries or property damage. This will require taking legal action against the other driver’s insurance company and recovering damages on your behalf.
An attorney or a lawyer from a reputed law firm is going to be a lifesaver at this point. Not only can they tell you what to expect, how to protect your rights, and how to best prepare for success in court; but they can also aid in gathering evidence and documenting the facts.
That’s why you should get a hold of a car accident lawyer New York City as soon as possible – preferably right after you have reported the accident, noted down some details if possible, and received medical attention.
When you’re involved in a truck accident, you may be wondering how to determine who’s at fault. It can be a complicated question, especially if there are more than two vehicles involved.
The best way to protect your rights when in a car accident is by being prepared. You should have all of the information needed to file an insurance claim or otherwise fight for compensation after the fact.
Reporting a car accident is pretty straightforward in NYC. All you need to do is call the cops or ask someone to do that. It’s what surrounds that activity that’s really important: taking pictures, gathering evidence, and collecting testimonies from bystanders. All of this can be pretty useful in case the accident has to be argued in court or negotiated out of it.
As one of the leading law firms out there, NYC Injury Attorneys P.C. specializes in auto accidents throughout the city. We have skilled lawyers and attorneys one call away. Get in touch with us for a free consultation today.
Share your thoughts